The USA is one of six countries that has claimed Texas as part of their country...err monarchy in some if not all cases. The phrase "six flags over Texas" gave birth to a customary theme for the great state of Texas. There is even an amusement park named "Six Flags" in case anyone didn't know. I think I went there when I was younger, but I don't fully recall, admittedly. And so the US annexed Texas in 1845 and it became part of the nation. However, this was the icing on the cake in a chain of events that sparked the "Mexican-American war" from 1846-48. There was very good reason for this ongoing dispute! But we won thankfully, actually, because the border of Texas was drawn by the Rio Grande river and we ended up with one pretty lookin' piece of property. Anyhoo, I am here today to dispel any myths we may have about about this great state.
Myth #1 - Texas is a bunch of fields of cattle and basically just farms with some big cities mixed in.
Proof #1 -
That is basically what I saw as I drove the whole way through West Texas. And if I looked forward, I'd see something like this:
Myth #2 - Actually...I don't really have one. That was it. Sorry to leave you wanting more. Feel free to propose another myth you'd like me to dispel and I will do so for you asap! ;-)
Really though, I really never imagined I was going to experience this type of scenery across Texas. Now, for those of you that don't know, Texas is the largest of the contiguous states, and 2nd only to Alaska in the U.S.. Houston also currently remains as the 4th most densely populated city in the US. But again....I was in....
AUSTIN!
Did I profess my love for this city yet? Oh yeah, that's right. I did. I'll do it again. Austin was the city that had all the tortilla, meat, cheese, and seasonings to form one tasty burrito of a getaway city. But as I was wooed by it's initial elements of nature and scenery, it also had interesting elements of what I could consider "a good place to live" as well. Knowing all too well that it carries a less-than-temperate climate in the summer time, in the 1940's, they damned off Barton Creek and created a natural, spring-fed pool bigger than any pool I've ever seen before. Take a gander....
And then this is the deep end of the pool/spring:
So the idea is that since it's fed from a spring, the temperature of the pool never varies by more than 68 deg in the winter time (term barely applies) and 71 in the summer. For those days that it's 106 deg out, the place is at capacity, to say the least. It's really deep, so most people bring rafts. Once we had the rafts blown up and I was submersed floating on a worm (featured in the pic below), we formed a "flotilla", which I thought was hilarious and had to ask about it's authenticity immediately, of course. By the way, before I forget, here is Kristin, Rebecca, her fiance Tim, his best man and best friend Josh:
They were a riot to hang out with and took me to some guuuuuud Mexican food afterwards. So anyways, a "flotilla" is indeed an actual term the Spanish used for linking small warships together to make a fleet. And so it went that Kristin, our lead ship, piloted our flotilla around the giant spring, reeking havoc on well...nothing really. Maybe the seaweed or vines under the water...
While we were relaxing on the conveniently placed grassy hills surrounding the pools, which by the way you are welcomed to go topless if you'd like ladies, seriously, we had a roving band of Capuetta dance fighters and singers come up on us and begin to perform their rare art. In my opinion, it sort of looked like a Jackie Chan's "The Drunken Master" meets charades meets the Macarena. I didn't quite know what to make of it, especially when I saw this:
They never actually plan to make contact with the other person, though it happens occasionally. The others, whether participating or not, stand around and sing in Portugese, which is Brazil's native language it turns out. The singing is mundane and badly harmonized by the participants, but it seems to function as a subtle back drop for a dashingly ridiculous performance. As if they needed opera or even some Guns & Roses going while they do this. No no...these were laid back peeps. They liked the comforting repetition of singing their haunting chants. They wore woven hats and smiled and hugged a lot. But afterwards...I heard something leading and conclusive. One of them was complaining about having to pay the $3 entry fee to the beautifully kept park. (which I would pay $6 for) I'm starting to think they were....
HIPPIES!
Oh no! Just kidding... Again, this is NOT something you see every day, nor you think you would see in Texas. Like I said....there's many different flavors there!
So at this point, a HUGE thank you goes out to the whole Holloway family again, for unabashed generosity and good 'ole down home southern hospitality. That is NOT a myth. That exists, and it's wonderful. I had a the nicest stay in Texas. It's much better than most of us "yankees" think it is. Believe it.
Oh and before I left....I did get ONE pic in support of what we traditionally think of when someone mentions Texas. Here it go:
So, I had to leave and made my way towards Las Cruces. I kinda pulled a Tarantino here and I'm linking the beginning to the end, but you already saw a couple of driving scenes. Here is what I was MORE than happy to pull into New Mexico and see:
At this point, I could complain about some things, but I'll just let it die. I hit a small bump in my travels, but this post was about the end of my stay and my drive through West Texas, and I think I made my point. Anything else is superfluous because I'm in SD and I'm happy! I'll pick up with my ascent on San Diego and anything else I'd like to add tomorrow. Thanks for holding on for this one! It's been a BUSY couple days.
All my love,
Chris

No comments:
Post a Comment