The Sears tower is a 108 story, 1,450 ft (422 m) skyscraper in Chicago, IL. At the time of its completion in 1973, it was the world's tallest building, surpassing the World Trade center towers in New York. But...that accolade has been sorely undercut, as we all know and remember.
So...NOW... in terms of absolute height, the tallest structure is currently the Burj Dubai, although it will not hold the official title of "Tallest Building in the World" until the building is officially opened. The current official holder of the "Tallest Building in the World" is held by Taipei 101.
Ok, but really, what don't you know about Chicago? Well, don't look at me for too many answers. I drove here effortlessly, drank 3 beers, had an AWESOME burger at a local restaurant, which btw was doing 1/2 off burgers and $5 pitchers of PBR, qualifying it for the least expensive trip I've made to dinner in Chicago yet. Then, spent the rest of the time relaxing with my friends Kevin and Sarah. Sarah helped me with details regarding my financial aid and I really think it's going to go over without a hitch. That was a HUGE relief. Kevin hooked me up with a navigational system for the rest of my trip too! What wonderful people. As if putting me up for the night wasn't enough....
So, I'd call the 1st day a success. Oh wait, actually, the 1st day was actually the 2nd day and the 1st day was a hungover disaster. SO...the 2nd day was a success, if you're keeping score at home.
Here are some of the other things I learned today:
- You CANNOT spit an entire mouth full of mouthwash out your window when your driving 70 mph on the freeway. Needless to say, I ended up looking like Paris Hilton after a busy night out. However, it lead me to my second thing I learned today:
- Mouthwash (specifically Aquafresh white rinse) really does buff up a pair of sunglasses nicely!
- Supposedly gas stations charge you for ICE now. Seriously...$0.42. I hope they don't do that when I'm driving through the desert.
- No matter how much you try, your left arm always gets more sun than your right. I can't decide whether or not to spend the extra gas money on AC and wear long sleeves, in spite of the situation, or just hope things "even out" when I get to sunny SD. I'll probably just look like I have, what I'm suggesting we either call a "trucker's tan" or a "polish farmers tan" for a while. Take your pick. (footnote: none of this bothers me in the slightest)
- I CAN take pictures through my front windshield and side windows. That will undoubtedly mean I go totally freakin over-board with my camera in the next week.
- Unless your as crazy as I am, don't ever try this.....
I really only have enough room in the whole car for me, myself, and I. When I get lonely, I figure I'll assign names to the various items in the car, give them fake voices, and develop my own dramatic saga. I'm thinking the conflict is....territory, right?
Off to Little Rock tomorrow. (Big shout out and thanks to Brian G.) I'm going to try to get there during some daylight, but it'll most likely just be a hotel stay. We'll see! Anyways, hang on for some great stuff from Austin and Gila National forest, later in the week. Enjoy! Thanks!!!
Chris

its is insteresting to hear that the building was once the tallest.
ReplyDeleteIt's even more interesting that you're reading this right now! I hadn't even fixed the formatting yet. Awesome. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Hope your trip is amazing, man. Your car looked like my car looked when i moved home from Vermont, less a dog on top of a pillow on top of all my shit. And taking pictures from a moving car (or vehicle in general) is alway awesome. Life looks cool out of a moving vehicle.
ReplyDelete