Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Illinois is a LONG FREAKIN STATE (but very nice actually)



And most of it outside of Chicago looks pretty much like this, substituting the rolling grass lands at times for really foul smelling corn fields and also what I'm going to call "shit farms" for short. The actual contents of those particular fields remain unknown, although perceived unnecessary. Here's the thing though, cow manure or not, the areas surrounding the highways are really well kept. I figure the tax base of Chicago keeps the whole rest of the state looking beautiful. But seriously, it took me more than half the day just to get through the state. It's 372 miles, just from Chicago to Cairo, which isn't even the full length of the state. (But close) It took me 6+ hours just to accomplish that portion of the route. And you know why

(mainly)...

EXCESSIVE TRUCKS

Do we really need all the trucks we have on the road? I bet to some, that seems like an absurd question. To me, it seems like gratuity in it's rawest form. I would love to know how many of those haulers really dignify the wages, gas, repairs, and effort that goes into hauling, in an efficient manner. Seems like the ultimate job right? No boss around. Sleep on the side of the road. Have cool sayings like the following airbrushed on the top and back of your cab...

"Scales and clocks just can't be trusted!"

Doesn't that prove my point right there? Funny or not? (which it is, imo)

In addition, in regards to construction now, I don't get why the token woman has to always be the one standing there holding the sign. Look at the guys! There's seven of them not doing anything! One guy was standing and texting while there's a woman out on the side of the road and outside the orange cones, risking her life holding the "slow" sign. I'm not sure, but this seems like a conveniently misnomered plot to me. I'm sure that any woman that can stand out there and hold that sign, can sit in a back ho and move a lever too. Shout out to all the "women's libbers" out there. (and hopefully that will get me laid at some point, lol)

And...at the risk of complaining a bit too much (it's been a LONG day), I was also a little perturbed about the average speed of the highway today. To be specific, it was mostly I-57 all day. Take what I just said about WAY too many trucks on the road, factor in the speed limit was ONLY 55 (ridiculous), and then every 30-40 miles or so there would be one lane closure, down from the original two, which would push the pace down to 45ish or so. WOO HOO.

Ok, so now on to some more amusing stuff. Sorry about the complaining. I hope it was entertaining, at least. :-)

I listened to 4 of my 5 favorite albums today. Yes, I still say "albums". Sorry if you don't like it. (not really) The reason I did so was two-fold. First off, my I-pod seems to be a bust for right now. Multiple problems. Oh well. I still have my circa 1995, ultra-thick, black pleather, zippered up book FULL of cds. The second reason I re-listened to them is because I think I'm going to have to make the 1st change to my "top 5 favorite albums of all time" for over a year now, and even that is negotiable, potentially dating further back to East Lansing days. (You'll see why...) So, anyways, without further ado, the winner winner chicken dinner that cracked the top 5 list is....(drum roll)...

Come on feel the Illinoise - by Sufjan Stevens

B0009R1T7M.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg


This CD is amazing and it redefined "apropos" better than anything ever has to me today. It's a concept album, engulfing funny quips of history and knowledge about the great state of Illinois. It's whimsical, textural, and rocking when it needs to be. The instrumentation on the album is 2nd to none. When I 1st got it, about 4 years ago now, I really didn't think much of his voice though. But that, and EVERYTHING else grew on me like moss on a rock in the river. (Oh by the way, I crossed the Mississippi and Arkansas river today!) But the color and depth of this production, ramped up by highly ingenious song writing, make it a must listen immediately. I am forever smitten with it. To make things even better, he was born in Detroit, lived there till he was 9, and lived in Petoskey for the rest of his childhood. Michigan, born and raised baby! He has also written a concept album about Michigan too and fittingly, it came first, in 2003. Unfittingly, it's not nearly as good as this epic production, but still a solid listen as well. I hope you get a chance to check him out. I listen to 200 different bands, so this is quite the accolade I'm throwing down here.

The loser was greatly unfortunately, Bob Marley's "Live" album. It actually was a big loser because it bumped back to #7th place, due to the ungodly amazing sounds of Of Montreal's "Hissing Fauna/Are you the destroyer" or "The Sunlandic twins", whom I'm going to award a tie for 6th place only, in lieu of being kind to Bob's memory. Plus I gave Radiohead a tie too, but their my favorite band, so that's just how it's gotta be...

So here's the top 5 now, in order...
  • Pink Floyd - Animals
  • Radiohead - TIE: The Bends/Ok Computer/Hail to the thief/ In Rainbows (disk 1 & 2)
  • The Who - Tommy (the original recording only)
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese dream
  • Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the Illinoise!
Anyone wanna comment and add their top 5? I hope so!

Here's a couple things that I thought were pretty amusing today:
  • The GM of the Hotel I'm staying in is named Daryl Gates. For those who can't recall, that name also fits for the former Chief of the LAPD and co-founder of the now world-wide program DARE, whose career was brought down hard core by the Rodney King riots, after it was said that the LAPD we're two bit, racist beat cops that were accountable only to arrogant, out-of-touch leadership. (Gates) I just hadn't thought about that story or Rodney King for some time. I wonder how many times this hotel GM gets commented to about that?
  • Why are there always random porn shops on the side of the highway in BFE? I passed one today named "Adult Time". That's just weird or wrong or something icky. Does that mean that when my parents threw Christmas parties and put us to bed saying it was "adult time", that it actually meant an orgy broke out in my basement? And in addition, isn't that name just asking to entice a kid to sneak in and buy something too? We have a strange culture sometimes....
  • When I hit Missouri and all through AR, I saw light up state road signs saying, "New law!" So naturally, I paid attention right? It was..."Click it or ticket". WOW. Didn't we have that in MI for 10 years + now? Talk about behind the times. I've been wearing my seat belt since I was 5. It's easy. Just do it. Nike.
  • And without throwing any of my own ideals in at all, I thought it was funny while inside a Mcdonald's today in Peotone, IL, I heard a man who had previously been dogging foreign car buyers (seemingly speaking extra loud so my Honda driving ass that just pulled up and walked in could hear him), say the following, "Heard good news comin outta Ohio tiday...did ya hear? Obama's approval is down ta 47% dere now!" Now...Isn't that cheering for the country to lose? I just think whether you voted for him or not (and 46% of the country didn't, remember), you just cannot outwardly and openly cheer for him to fail. That's just crazy talk. If you wanna think it, cool by me. Just don't throw it out there in a loud voice inside a busy lunch time at Mcdonald's. Come on man. Geez.
  • I really don't know what part of my appearance scares southerners, but they look at me like I'm a damn extra terrestrial. I know I have long hair and I'm wearing nice clothes with have a Detroit Tigers hat on backwards and flip flops, but does that truly qualify me for a "swerve and stare"? Not just a "double take", but multiple "swerve and stares" today. I should wear a costume when I drive through rural areas or something. Maybe dress up as Mother Theresa in full garb or something. That would really freak 'em out.
  • I just can't sing for multiple hours to all my favorite cds in long car rides anymore. My diaphragm, lungs, and jaw (especially), are all killing me currently. Good think I don't have to talk to anyone right now. My fingers are just fine. I've been rolling around these Chinese stress relief balls in my hands to keep myself occupied on the ride and I think it's really increasing my dexterity. That or this post is WAY too long and my fingers are just really warmed up.
  • Illinois impressed me in one very interesting way....they have the most well designed, attractive rest areas of any state. I know Ohio has those big fancy stop offs on the Turnpike. But check this craziness out too. I just had to do it...


Sorry actually...that's just silly. And I really didn't think I was going to have an adventure to write about today. What a foolish thought! Spend 12 hours in and out of a car and drive 650 miles, and there is bound to be something that pops up. Off to Austin tomorrow. Another challenging 8.5 hour drive, BUT...I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the Holloways for the 1st time in a LONG time, and celebrating their daughter's engagement on Friday! I should have some killer pics from this stop as well. Finally, I'm going to try to do a night out on the town in the "music capitol of the south" too! It's been a long time in the making....

Thanks to anyone who is reading this and especially if you're still reading this particular novel I just spewed out. Sorry to anyone I offended. Oh wait...no I'm not. :-p

Peace & Love

Chris


3 comments:

  1. I wanna have a lil' picnic at that ofly fancy rest stop! So that when I'm finished, I can walk down that little path and take a ...! lol, you're rediculous CH! :) God Bless America! -kg

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I feel like my response is too long to write. I'll respond when I get to see you in the flesh.

    2. I was going to list my top 5 albums (do people not say albums anymore?) but I have too many top 5 lists that are broken down into categories and genres and wasn't sure which too choose.

    3. Keep up the blogs. That's the key to it. Consistency. Something I'm trying to work on (especially, in life as a whole).

    Safe happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your stories Chris, glad I signed on. I must comment on the "top 5 album list" what, no Carlos Santana? Also, Led Zepplins' "Houses of the Holy" and Floyd's "Dark side of the Moon", Plus Don Felder is brilliant so pick an Eagles album. I'm about to read todays blog, can't wait. Love ya, Denise

    ReplyDelete